Feedback: The Good and The Bad

 Feedback is something that a lot of people struggle with approaching in a typical manner. Many people are nervous to give good and honest feedback because they don't want to hurt anyone's feelings, but how does one improve when they don't know what they're doing wrong. Constructive criticism is so important to grow and develop as a person. In the past I feel as though teachers haven't been able to find a happy medium, they either say nothing and let you handle things on your own or they degrade you and embarrass you which just makes you not want to try anymore. After reading a few articles on feedback I've found it interesting how many people have came up with different ideas and ways to give positive and helpful feedback to learners. For example the blog post 'Be a Mirror" by Gravity Goldberg brought up different ways that you can give feedback to foster a growth mindset. She discusses how you should be a mirror, focus on what someone is doing correct and reflect like a mirror without passing judgement. I can relate to this because a lot of times in high school teachers would try to degrade me, and only notice everything I was doing wrong instead of giving useful feedback that would help my learning. After reading the blog post by Jennifer Gonzalez called "The Trouble with 'Amazing': Giving Praise That Matters", I feel more confident in giving feedback that will be helpful to growing as writers. She expressed how congratulating someone on something they didn't work hard towards doesn't help them grow, but giving them constructive criticism until they've worked hard enough to earn a "good job". I would like to try both these ways of feedback throughout the semester because I think it can help people grow their writing skills and also social skills. #week2#feedback

Until next time,

Mo

Comments

  1. Hi Mo! I can definitely relate to your experience with feedback in the past; it's hard for people to strike a balance between being ineffective and too harsh. None of us are perfect, of course, but I'm always trying to do my best to work that middle ground and employ the type of mirror strategy you explore here. I think you'll find it helpful as you work on peer feedback this week, too!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts